Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Hole in the Heart Review

Review

Episode 6x22 – The Hole in the Heart

WARNING: This is long, but the sections are labeled so you can skip over things if you’d like.

There was so much going on in this episode that I’m intimidated at writing a review but at the same time can’t help myself to attempt it. My hubby thinks I’m crazy… crazy in a good way, though. LOL! So far, I’ve watched it three times and I’ve spent quite a bit of time reading other viewers’ perspectives to see if I want to revise any of my opinions, or more likely, strengthening my own. I haven’t even touched the tip of the ice berg. There are so many people talking online about this episode because it was so well done. I like it better the more I watch and read. I’m really hung up on which episode is my favorite of the season: last week’s Signs in the Silence or this week’s The Hole in the Heart.


Jake Broadsky/The Case

I have really enjoyed this arc. He’s been the perfect foe for Booth. I didn’t really understand the opening scene but understand how it drove the episode’s plot… Matt L. was playing for the wrong side just by defying Jake. The part that didn’t make sense: Why did he need to borrow his rifle? Didn’t get it. I like how Booth openly worked with Sweets on this case. His insight was spot on: He’s finding people who he believed deserved to die and found people to pay him for it. He figured out that after he took out Booth, he would be coming for the rest of Booth’s team. He professionally disagreed that Booth shouldn’t have shot him in the back but personally he didn’t really have a problem with the idea. Sweets tied it all up for me in a way that made all the sniper episodes make sense to me.

I was surprised at first that Broadsky was after Booth because he was interfering with his missions. What a sick guy… he thought it was self-defense? Right. And then he managed to twist his theory that self-defense required an aggressive offense. My guess is that he always had the tendency to go down this road in life when he was in the army and believed he was the left hand of God. The army unknowingly taught him the skills he needed to become a deadly force on the wrong side of justice. That’s my opinion anyway.

I love at the end that Broadsky was so surprised by Booth knowing his hand was broken. I love it when Brennan’s findings help Booth with a fight! I loved the whole hunt. Booth successfully getting the bad guy is hot! LOL Can’t help it. Love it! But I also loved how Hodgins was able to help Brennan interpret things for Booth. Booth’s “You may have just saved my life,” was probably my favorite part of that scene.

Does anyone know why Broadsky wanted to be in the shipping yard?


Agent Genny Shaw

I really liked her character which surprised me. When I heard she would be part of the plot, I immaturely was unhappy. I blame it on the Hannah arc. I think I can handle almost anything that happens on the show except for anymore SOs and just the thought of another female coming into Booth’s life made my cringe. But I was happy with Genny’s character. Booth acted as a nice mentor for her and seeing him as being needed probably allowed him to accept a partner. (Before Brennan, he was determined to work alone.) I’m also thinking that his experience of teaching other soldiers in Afghanistan had prepared him for such a role.

I’ve been reading about fans wanting to see a relationship between Genny and Sweets or Genny and Wendell. I don’t see how a ship with Sweets would work since they both work for the FBI. Then again, it would be fun to see them fight their feelings and Sweets realize what B&B were going through.

Angela & Brennan

Finally! I was starting to wonder if they were even friends anymore.

So… about that conversation between them: I personally think it’s possible that B&B did make love. Why?

Of course, the smile was just so unBrennan-like. If they just talked, Brennan would have been upfront and literal about it. But making love and letting go the last of her imperviousness? That is not something that Brennan would be comfortable talking about. She wouldn’t have come right out and said they had sex because that’s not what it would have been.

Second, she started the conversation with sharing that she got into bed with Booth. Brennan for years has insisted that they were just friends. Again, if they just comforted and talked, she would have said so right from the start. And we can tell she didn’t say it literally because Angela was speechless and Brennan asked if she was going to say anything about it. After all, Brennan was probably expecting her to squeal. Brennan left it open for interpretation.

And then, she doesn’t stop Angela from asking for more details. She doesn’t look for a way out of the conversation and Jack coming in would have been the perfect timing. Instead, she allowed Angela to shoo him out!

And tacking on a few other facts about bedroom scene makes it more to me… after seeing Brennan with Angela. At first, I didn’t think anything more happened.

One more thing about this before I continue with B&B… A FanFic reader requested that I write a continuation of The Hole in the Heart for my series of one-shots called, Now that’s more like it! I’ll be continuing the scene of Angela & Brennan since I already wrote a bedroom scene titled Signs of New Life which was based on promos. And I didn’t want to extend the ending because I believe the finale is like a part 2 of this episode.

Booth’s Apartment/Did they or didn’t they?

I love the fact that Booth told Bones that she was staying at his apartment and she didn’t argue. I love her logic for sleeping on the couch and Booth’s chuckled response followed by a cute and sincere thank you. LOL I love the fan ficky part of Booth giving him his clothes to Brennan to wear and her going to Booth in his bedroom for comfort.

It’s 4:47 when Brennan walks into Booth’s room scaring the crap out of him. (Did she bother knocking first?) What if he would have been doing… you know… THAT. Oh, right. I guess that would be fan ficky, too. LOL!) And I wish someone would tell me why he asked if he should put down the gun and why he was grumpy with her at first. (Sigh)

Anyone else snicker at the socks he wore to bed? LOL I’ve always imagined (yes, imagined) that he would be a guy who slept in his boxers. Geesh! We got to see him in his boxers before and one of those times was in his bedroom with the PBD. I really hope we get some PDA with Bones, soon. Seriously, we deserve it after what we’ve been through this season. Did anyone else think Fox should sell t-shirts that say, “I survived Hannah.” I mean, have you seen the House, MD t-shirts and other garbage? (My hubby has a cane just like his… I kid you not. I cringe.)

I was happy when Booth’s expression softened when Brennan started slipping a few tears because she wondered what kind of person she was. He said something like: “No… Come here. No, no, no. Bones, you got that all wrong.” And he offers his hand for her to sit next to him. I was so happy to see that. She coming to him AND he’s offering. Give and take the way a relationship should be. It’s not all one-sided anymore. What a relief! They have both come so far. They were so in tune with each others needs in this episode. Brennan with consoling him at the lab and he was consoling her in the bedroom. Loved it. Loved how he easily used her language of the universe and she saying the very normal… If there was a God, he would have let Vincent stay. Booth: “It doesn’t work that way.” And she accepts it. So good. And she asked for comfort. So, so good!

Now, as I said, I personally think they made love (or at least displayed some sort of physical affection.) But if I’m wrong, I’m fine with it. The important part was they are now in the same place and they are in or ready for a relationship. And if it did happen, I’m fine that we didn’t see anything because it was out of comfort and private. Almost too special to see. Does that make sense? But… I did want to hear it talked about with Angela and Brennan and especially between B&B. I’m still holding out hope that if they did in fact make love that we know before the finale is done. I will be upset if we’re left hanging all summer not knowing. And I want some sort of PDA… like a passionate kiss. What I don’t want is for Brennan to be pregnant. But if she is, I’ll roll with it. Nothing could be as bad as Hannah. (Seriously, I cringed when I watched an episode of House that she appeared in. As wrong as it is, I’ll never be able to watch anything that she stars or guest stars in… and that includes anymore Bones episodes. I just can’t go there.

Okay, one last thing about the bedroom: I loved how he comforted her, holding her tightly and rubbing her back. The words he spoke were soft and comforting. “That’s what I’m here for. I’m right here. I know. It’s hard.” I wasn’t expecting him to add “baby” like he used in the season 5 premier, but I would have squealed if he did.

Booth

He’s back! He became the take charge leader of the squints in their time of need. And he needed to be needed. That’s Booth. Booth with a gun and hunting a foe… hot!

I think that Booth has lost the last of his anger. He’s watched Bones lose the last of her imperviousness. He’s learned that her reaction to his desire to be in an intimate relationship with her in the 100th episode wasn’t about him. It was about her. She wasn’t ready to be what he needed because she still had those walls up. And all this means that there wasn’t anything wrong with him… which is what I think Bones wanted to tell him in Dare Devil in the Mold at Founding Father’s. Booth had to figure it out for himself. He had to know and believe that there wasn’t anything wrong with him because 3 women had turned away from him. Not having to question his worth means he doesn’t have to be angry anymore.

I love how he acknowledged Vincent as a friend to Genny. He wasn’t embarrassed to be a friend of a squint (that wasn’t Bones, of course.) And although he called Vincent the “English Squintern,” he knew his first name! I love how hard he fought to save him at the end. I love how Booth could laugh at Mr. Nigel-Murray’s antics with the dinosaur skeleton instead of smirk and mock.

What happened to Booth’s access card to the platform? Did anyone else notice that the guard had to swipe him so he could gain access?

Brennan

Nigel-Murray last scene: I love how open she was. She was willing to lie about it being good that he couldn’t feel anything. Her heart was open to say they (she) loved having him there. It doesn’t look like he got to hear her say that he was her favorite. I don’t know if it was true, but the fact that she said it was true. I hope she doesn’t continue to say that she doesn’t have an open heart.

Brennan to Booth: “You still have blood on your hands.” I’m glad that Brennan is still Brennan at the core and that Angela was able to say that she was being literal.

Ending Scene

I loved that they sang The Lime in the Coconut in tribute to Vincent and that Brennan knew Vincent’s favorite song.

I love Brennan’s potted plant… and how Angela defended her and the look of affection Booth gave her and she retuned.

I love the Sweets saluted Vincent as he was driven away.

And I love the smile Booth had when Bones linked arms with him! If something did happen physically between them, then that gesture would have meant that she still needed him and it wasn’t from a moment of weakness… and it would mean that Booth didn’t take advantage of her emotional state.

Miscellaneous

Loved how Cam dealt with Hodgins when he was all up in arms about being told to leave.

I love that the six main characters are a family again… or at least getting there.

Love the looks Booth gave Brennan before he went to bed and again in the ending scene.

Loved the camera shot from Booth’s perspective of his bedroom door closing while watching Bones.

I love how the gang was waiting to find out if Booth got Broadsky and if Booth was alright.

The montage scene was awesome! Loved the music with it, too.

I think Sweets handled Brennan well when she and Mr. Nigel-Murray were so excited. He probably remembered that same thing happening between Brennan and Daisy.

Hodgins liked Vincent’s facts and Cam liked his confessions. She said if those were the worst things he ever did… yeah. That’s sad.

Mr. Nigel-Murray

He was so cute with the dinosaur replica! He apparently liked Booth. It was cute how he acted like a kid calling to his mom or dad to watch him in his dinosaur bones. LOL! I loved how he and Hodgins arm wrestled.

His acting was fabulous and heart-crushing. His pleas to stay seemed like it was two-fold; it was like he was saying good-bye on the show and to his fans. I will miss him and his facts.

In Memory of Mr. Nigel-Murray, a Give Me My Remote writer suggested people leave random facts. I enjoyed reading them. Here are a few of my favorites:

Mr. Potato Head’s birthday is May 1st.

The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley’s gum.

Sharks grow a new set of teeth every two weeks or so to replace worn teeth.

15,000 vacuum cleaner-related accidents happen per year.

100 people die from falling icicles every winter in Moscow.

Elephants are the only land mammals that can’t jump.

Coconut water is sterile. It can be used intravenously and was used in WWII when supplies ran short.

There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

The average person’s left hand does 56% of the typing.

Tongues are like fingerprints. Each one is different.

A squid has 3 hearts.

A shrimp’s heart is in their head.

A while back, Ryan Cartwright tweeted a link to a list of common misconceptions. I thought this was very Mr. Nigel Murray of him. I still had the link in my email, as I had shared it with some friends. I think it’s only fitting that I share it here as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

RATINGS

DATE ....... Episode #s ....... Viewer #s ....... Demo 18-49
9/23 ............ 601 ................. 9.893 M ................ 2.7/8
9/30 ............ 602 ................. 9.750 M ................ 2.5/8
10/7 ............ 603 ................. 9.240 M ................ 2.7/8
10/14 .......... 604 ................. 9.584 M ................ 2.6/8
11/4 ............ 605 ................. 9.263 M ................ 2.5/7
11/11 .......... 606 ................. 9.202 M ................ 2.6/7
11/18 .......... 607 ..................9.403 M ................ 2.7/8
12/2 ............ 609 ................. 8.833 M ................ 2.3/7
12/9 ............ 608 ................. 8.358 M ................ 2.2/7
1/20 ............ 611 ................ 10.553 M ............... 3.5/9
1/27 ............ 610 ................ 12.049 M ............... 3.9/10
2/3 .............. 612 ................ 10.197 M ............... 3.3/9
2/10 ............ 613 ................. 9.938 M ................ 3.2/8
2/17 ............ 614 ................. 9.836 M ................ 3.3/9
3/10 ............ 615 ................ 10.488 M ............... 3.2/9
3/17 ............ 616 ................ 11.613 M ............... 3.3/10
4/7 .............. 618 ................ 10.576 M ............... 3.2/9
4/14............. 619 ................ 11.448 M ............... 3.5/10
4/21 ............ 617 ................ 10.960 M ............... 3.2/9
4/28 ............ 620 ................ 9.700 M ................. 2.8/7
5/5 .............. 621 ................ 10.940 M ............... 3.2/9 (adjusted down)
5/12 ........ 622 ............. 10.480 M ........... 3.2/0

No comments:

Post a Comment